I delight in solving problems by working with innovative people & technology. I find solutions that are both creative and maintainable. During my career I’ve learnt how to work through people, recognising that an effective team is more productive than any single contributor. I relish finding team structures that are efficient & make the most of my team members skills.
I resolve problems with a balance of collecting data and intuition & judgement, and recognise a solution may be technical, non-technical, or a mix of both. I enjoy working with large systems, and like identifying ways to simplify them; through either technical, procedural or organisational changes.
Innovative manager experienced in running distributed teams of highly-skilled engineers and project managers.
Product-focused leader, with good understanding of how business requirements impact technical decision making.
Engaged with whole product life cycle: requirements, design, implementation, change management, maintenance, delivery & operation.
2014 - present
Current role: Program Director
- Responsibilities across Cloudant, Compose & IBM Cloud Databases offerings. These are mission critical services for both IBM Cloud & its customers.
- Cover Infrastructure, Security, Compliance & Reliability teams (UK, US, China, Germany).
- Help set direction of the product, negotiating with stakeholders across the offering, BU & broader business.
- Lead compliance automation efforts for IBM Cloud, including liaising with external auditors, NIST & IBM Research, based on tooling we built for Cloudant. This has been open sourced at https://auditree.github.io/.
- Help define the structure & organisation of the business unit to meet business & technical goals.
- Manage and mentor staff from across the immediate and broader organisation, at various levels of seniority (interns through to peers).
- Maintain University of Bristol relationship, fostering collaboration between IBM and the University.
- Helped the Cloudant acquisition integrate with IBM - technically, organisationally & culturally.
- Grew Cloudant engineering team from ~25 to ~70, hiring at many levels (interns through to leaders) across the skill sets required (developer, operations, support, management, developer advocacy, product management).
- Offering manager for the launch of IBM Graph service.
- Led R&D efforts around using Kubernetes for novel deployments of Cloudant.
- Stood up “Service as a product” team, trying to drive service thinking & best practice in the portfolio.
- Full cycle incident management & response.
- Customer events & meetings,representing IBM Cloudant at trade shows.
- Liaise with European Sales leadership on strategy, hiring & go-to-market.
2012 - 2014
Range of roles in small, rapidly growing start up:
- Product management.
- Service API development (billing, account management etc.).
- Sales engineering.
- Release engineering & QA.
- Ops on call.
- Support on call.
- Front end development for CouchDB. Resulted in being made a committer on Apache CouchDB
- Developer advocacy, including speaking at various conferences (All Your Base, QCon etc.) & representing Cloudant at trade shows.
- Develop documentation, code samples, blogs.
Second UK employee:
- Hired UK team, wrote business case for CEO to set up Bristol ofﬁce.
- Grew from 2 to 14 at point of acquisition.
- Involved in most hires made by the engineering/product team.
2006 - 2012
Research Assistant & Research Associate
Convened the Data & Workflow Management group.
- Team of ~50 spread around the world (UK, US, Italy, Switzerland).
- Responsible for mission critical processing, transfer & bookkeeping of CMS experiment data (10PB/year).
- Designed large parts of the workflow management system.
- Created a data services team to simplify access to various stores of information.
- Stakeholder management between different groups.
- Ran data management project PhEDEx, team of ~5 people.
- Helped deﬁne dataset book keeping system - simpliﬁed requirements by deﬁning a naming convention.
2002 - 2006
Thesis: “Invisible Decays of the Higgs Boson at the CMS Detector”, funded through e-Science PPARC grant.
- Worked in data management team, built prototype of data
management system (PhEDEx) to manage multiple petabytes of
- Developed metadata catalog integration tool (Java web service).
- Wrote Python (matplotlib) and SQLite based analysis tooling to speed up Monte-Carlo simulation. -Tested storage software for “Tier 1” UK Lab (Rutherford Appleton Laboratory).
- Network performance testing of UK academic network.
- Procured & built hardware for department data centre.
1998 - 2002
MPhysUn - Master of Physics & the Universe
- Final projects:
- Fortran simulation of the earth’s geodynamo
- Solving quantum wave equations with genetic algorithms
- Worked as freelance web developer (ASP & front end)
Colne Community High School/College
- A level Maths, Music, Music Practical, Physics
- GCSE’s: 11 A*-C including Maths, Science, English lit/lang
I live in Bristol with my wife, two children, dog & ever growing instrument collection.